If you are to name the most abused part of our body, what would you say? The answer could vary depending on your habit or work, but one thing is for certain: you have abused your feet at some point; in fact, in a lot of instances. There would be situations wherein our foot would ache because of walking long distances or maybe we stepped the wrong way and made it sore. Below are the most common reasons why you are experiencing foot problems:
- Plantar Fasciitis; this is a condition wherein the band of muscle that runs along your foot gets inflamed. This is a common condition for runners, those who are overweight and women who wear high heels all the time.
- Gout pain
- Strains and sprains
- Blisters, corns, and calluses
- Edema, especially for pregnant women
Don’t worry; whatever the cause of your aches is, the solution to your foot problems is just a couple of essential oil drops away. Generally, essential oils have anti-inflammatory and anesthetic properties, making them perfect for pain and swelling relief. There are various ways by which you can use essential oils – foot soaks, foot baths, scrubs, salves, and massage oils. Any of these will be effective and each will be a fantastic spa experience.
Below are the 7 most effective essential oils for our feet problems.
1. Eucalyptus – the best thing about eucalyptus essential oil is that it has anti-inflammatory property; hence if your feet are tired and you want to relieve them from their soreness, all you have to do is mix 3 to 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to 1 tablespoon of a carrier oil, like coconut oil, and massage it on your feet. You can apply it as often as you want, but if you expect to be on your feet all day you might want to apply it in the morning as it will significantly prevent swelling.
2. Peppermint – If your feet are not just tired but also ridden with dirt (maybe from hiking), you may need more than just a simple massage oil. How does a relieving foot scrub sound? To prepare the homemade scrub, all you need are ½ cup brown sugar, ½ cup carrier oil, like almond oil, and 10 drops of peppermint essential oil. Mix all the ingredients together and scrub on your feet for about 10 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Peppermint not only increases circulation but also provides a numbing and cooling sensation.
3. Lavender – If you are in the essential oil business for quite some time now, then you are aware that lavender oil is perfect for soothing and calming purposes. But it has so much more to offer than just that. Did you know that lavender can heal various skin conditions? So if your feet’s skin developed impurities, lavender is the way to go. Also, lavender has an anti-inflammatory effect, perfect for muscle and joint pain. To prepare this soothing remedy, simply mix ¼ cup Epsom salt with 1 teaspoon jojoba oil and 4 drops of lavender essential oil. Place the mixture in a basin of warm water and stir until it’s well blended. Soak your feet for 15 minutes or until the water becomes cool. Don’t forget to dry your feet thoroughly.
4. Sweet Marjoram – This essential oil is best known for its comforting and calming effect for our emotions, but it can also do that for our aching feet. Sweet Marjoram has this great warming effect, so this is perfect for improving circulation in whatever body part we use it for. To have a unique spa experience, try this soothing foot gel. Just prepare ¼ cup of Aloe vera gel and mix it carefully with 12 drops of Sweet Marjoram essential oil. Apply to your feet as needed and leave it as it is for full effect.
5. Clove – If you’ve come to the point when you just want to numb the pain, then you must have clove essential oil ready in your home remedies cabinet. Clove essential oil is the best option if you want a natural anesthetic; it can instantly mask the pain while it gives your feet ample time to recover from being too inflamed. Preparing the salve is pretty straightforward: just get a bottle where you’ll mix 6 drops of clove oil and 3 tablespoons of sesame oil. Apply the salve to your feet and feel the instant relief!
6. German Chamomile – Sometimes, you won’t be able to sleep right away because your feet are killing you! When that moment comes, please remember that you have German chamomile essential oil by your side. Not only does it provide a strong numbing effect, it also eases the swelling and it relaxes your whole body allowing you to sleep like a baby despite having killer feet. To reap the benefits of this essential oil: mix 9 drops of German chamomile to 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Apply on your feet at night and savor the calm sensation it brings.
7. Wintergreen – Wintergreen may not be on your top choices, but that’s not to say that it’s not effective. As many essential oil lovers stated, Wintergreen essential oil reduces swelling and pain AND it keeps the skin squeaky clean. The best thing about using Wintergreen is that you don’t have to mix it with any oils. Just place a few drops in your fingers and massage it on the affected, aching part of your foot. Simple and efficient!
So there you have it! You had the 7 best essential oils for sore, aching feet along with the recipes and methods on how to use them. The next stage is for you to research on the best essential oil companies where you can get your high-quality essential oils. Remember that essential oils are not made equally. If you’re new to the realities of natural healing, then you might be tempted to get the most affordable set of EOs, without taking into account the quality. Don’t do that as those “affordable” essential oils may not be as effective as those made by reputable companies.